Sunday, December 12, 2010

Guest post from Katie/I Go By Katie!

    Today I am just so excited to welcome Katie to Sometimes Sweet! Many of you may know Katie from her amazing creations (Darlingtonia Moccasins) and you may already read her fantastic blog...but if you don't, definitely head over her way! Katie is someone who I really admire- being that I am not exactly queen of the DIY (or let's face it, even on the court), I truly find inspiration in people who are uber-creative like Katie; people who just have that drive to make beautiful things. Besides her obvious talent and creativity, Katie is incredibly sweet (beautiful too), and it's such a pleasure to host her here on my blog. Thank you Katie! xo

    -----

    Hello everyone! I'm Katie the lady behind the blog I go by Katie & I'm here today to share a super cute DIY with you in honor of baby Henry!


    In this DIY I will show you how to make these endlessly customizable, super easy & absolutely adorable baby bibs using transparent vinyl & bias tape. You can add anything to the center of the bib, I used sequins, stickers & snowflake lace scrapbooking paper on mine but you could certainly spell out baby's name, add a drawing or even photographs.

    Supplies:
    Bias tape
    Clear vinyl - this can usually be found on rolls at your local fabric store, be sure to choose a light weight & flexible version.
    Embellishments - sequins, scrapbooking paper, stickers, fabric, whatever you like!
    Scissors
    Sewing Machine

    Step 1
    Cut 2 pieces of vinyl for the bib using the bib pattern provided. If you are using scrapbooking paper like my white snowflake example which was a lace paper design cut a bib pattern out of your paper also.

    Step 2
    Sew bias tape around the neck portion of your bib. Sewing with bias tape can be tricky if you've never tried it before I suggest practicing your technique a bit. You want to make sure your stitches are catching both sides of the fabric while being as close to the edge as you can. If you are using stickers like in my green fern example now is the time to arrange your stickers, just open the 2 pieces of vinyl, place your stickers where you would like them & replace the top layer or vinyl.

    Step 3
    Now to add the ties & bias tape around the perimeter of your bib. Begin by sewing up your bias tape enclosing it & stop when you've gone 15". Now while your needle is in your fabric lift your presser foot & slip your vinyl bib inside your bias tape right where you've stopped stitching. Put your presser foot back down & begin sewing around the perimeter of your bib. Because pins would damage the vinyl I don't recommend using them, just work slowly, especially around corners to make sure you are catching both sides of your bias tape. If you are making a sequin version, once you've about 2/3 of the way through add your sequins by separating your vinyl sheets & pouring in the desired amount of sequins.

    Step 4
    Once you've sewn your bias tape all the way around your bib continue sewing your bias tape together until the length of what will be your tie is the same as the other side 15". Now you are ready to dress baby up in his or her fun new bib!

    All done!

    Click the bib pattern below to enlarge it in a new window, save it to your computer & print it at 100%. To make larger versions just raise the percentile.

    If you have any questions or trouble with my directions or pattern feel free to shoot me an email at igobykatie@gmail.com & I will do my best to help! Also, this pattern & tutorial is for personal use only.Source URL: http://sweettattooforgirls.blogspot.com/2010/12/guest-post-from-katiei-go-by-katie.html
    Visit sweet tattoo for girls wallpaper for Daily Updated Hairstyles Collection

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

My Blog List

Blog Archive