Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Tattoo Tuesday V.11

    I am so happy to present one of my most favorite blogger lady-friends ever, Jessica! She is such an awesome gal, wonderful wife, and mother of TWO! I met the gorgeous Jessica online awhile back, when we realized that my husband's band had played with her husband's band! I've been reading her blog ever since, and loving each and every one of her posts. She's super real and super awesome. So thank you Jess, for being a part of this feature. I know you guys will enjoy all of her photos and insightful advice.



    Name and blog name: Jessica Youngsma

    I've got 3 blogs!
    My general blog is:

    http://thedoeorthedeer.blogspot.com/

    And my kids each have their own:

    http://letters-to-zoe.blogspot.com/


    http://2equals4.blogspot.com/

    Tattoo/location: Owl and bones located on my left hand.

    Artist/shop/location: It was done by Dan Smith in a kitchen, in Orange County (4 years ago). But Dan is now tattooing at High Voltage Tattoo in LA aka "LA Ink" (He's the australian guy on the show).



    1) Tell us about the tattoo you are sharing with us- is there a background story or special meaning? Why did you choose this particular piece of art?

    I had known Dan a few years before I met my husband and when I met my husband, come to find out my husband's band (Bleeding Through) and Dan's band (Day of Contempt) had toured together and had known each other for awhile too. It's a very small world we live in. So we had talked about him tattooing me some time and found an opportunity between touring to get something done. It just happened to be in a friends apartment kitchen. Don't worry, it was sterile. I decided I wanted an owl, because I have a "thing" for birds and such. And an owl seemed to be the perfect shape to fit on a hand snugly. So, Dan whipped it up and slapped it on. It took about 3 hours and the rest is history! It's the best "kitchen tattoo" I've ever gotten. And yes, this wasn't the first time I've been tattooed in a kitchen.

    2) Do you have any other tattoos? If so, what do you have and where?

    I have plenty of others! I included a bunch of pics, because who doesn't like pics?!
    Neck (left side), Jim Minor
    Chest, Kayle LeoGrande
    Right arm, Nick Vargas & Los Ocegueda
    Left arm, Nick Vargas, Brent Vann, Old School Alex and Mike Childers
    Lower back, Nick Vargas
    Upper back, Jeff Cooper
    Back of neck, Nick Phillips
    Left ankle, *myself...(It was the 2nd tattoo I had ever done and its pretty bad.)

























    3) Do you plan on getting more?

    Yes. If I ever stop being pregnant! I can't wait for Los to finish my Jesus tattoo and get him started on finishing the rest of my right arm. I need to get something for my children and the other side of my neck will be reserved for my dad. Legs, maybe and my throat will be the very last thing I will do before I die.

    4) How do your family and friends feel about your tattoo(s)? Have you run into any adversity or negativity because of them?

    My mom and dad disowned me when they found out how much I was tattooed. I hid them till about 5 years ago and they found out through finding me in a magazine. Whoops! My mom had said that I would never find a husband looking the way I did. Well, her protest only lasted a few months and I showed up at her door in only a bikini. She also takes back ever saying I wouldn't find a husband, because I've been happily married for 3+ years and she loves my (tattooed) husband. My family doesn't even notice them anymore and they actually stick up for me when people say crappy things about tattooed folk.

    As for issues with friends, 98% of my friends are heavily tattooed, so its really a non-issue. I don't get too much crap about them from the general public, but unfortunately there is still a stigma attached to heavily tattooed women. We are seen as skanky, un-motherly and irresponsible. Its really unfortunate how tattooed women are treated by society in modern day.

    5) Any advice for those interested in getting tattooed but haven't gotten one yet?

    3 things:

    WAIT!
    I honestly don't suggest getting tattooed till you are 26, because your taste as an eager 18 year old, might be done out of trends and you don't really know yourself till you have actually lived and decided who you really are.

    RESEARCH! Too many times people go to the local-yokal "tat" shop and blindly choose an artist. Scourer magazines, blogs and websites in search for the artist that "speaks" to you and your style. If that means you got to fly or drive a few hours, its worth it! It's on your body forever, why would you skimp out on a permeant feature on your body? It's like half assing on picking out a leg... If you got to choose what leg you wanted on you for the rest of your life, wouldn't you want to pick out the best looking leg?!

    PUT DOWN THE PENCIL! It's fine and dandy to come up with a rough idea (sketch) of what you want to show your artist, but let them take control. They are the artist! I promise they know more about tattoo art than you and what looks good, fits good and an overall aesthetic, (if you had done good research of the artist). This also means, leave your cousin thats in prison out of the designing of your tattoo, too. (Most) artists won't admit to your face that they hate your drawing, but they do. It's worse than picking out random tattoo flash. Trust me.Source URL: http://sweettattooforgirls.blogspot.com/2010/03/tattoo-tuesday-v11.html
    Visit sweet tattoo for girls wallpaper for Daily Updated Hairstyles Collection

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

My Blog List