Saturday, August 7, 2010

Home Ec fun!

    my machine and me :)

    This weekend I've had an absolute blast visiting fabric stores and getting supplies for this week's projects. If you follow me on Twitter, you'd know that I had a bit of a sewing machine issue when I took mine out of the box for the first time in over two years. I went to open the front loading bobbin area, and three large parts came out. I knew what to do with the bobbin casing but I didn't know how to put the other two larger pieces back in. I enlisted the help of my trusty fashion designer friend Brian (he designs for drag queens!), and he walked me through it, but I still couldn't get it. Then Hank got home, walked in, took one look at the mess and Bri's directions, and with a click-snap-click popped everything back into place. Ah, husbands.

    So now my machine is up and running, and I am really looking forward to Monday's first project, which are cloth napkins. It's a go at your own pace class that will be up for a year, but the girls will be posting projects everyday. We'll be making things from bibs, all the way up to household items like duvet covers and curtains. I seriously can't wait.

    I've always been super intimidated by the fabric section in craft/fabric stores. As silly as it sounds, I didn't know common sense things - like what to do once you pick out which fabric you want, how big a yard was, etc. It sounds silly I know but I conquered my fear over the past couple of days and now I feel totally comfortable. All the women I encountered at the shops were so helpful and kind that it really put me at ease. I'm proud of myself for trying something new, and more so, retrying something I "failed" at years ago when I first was given my machine. Even though class hasn't started I've already been sewing a little bit and I'm definitely enjoying it.

    I wanted to share a quick shot of some of the fabric I bought this weekend. If I was having a girl I'd use that lemon fabric for EVERYTHING. It's so pretty. Once I learn how, I may make some pretty girl clothes for my future daughter, just because. :)

    some of my fabric for this week's Home Ec projects :)

    I'll be updating my flickr and this blog with my projects as I complete them, and if you're curious and would like to see a full project list, click here to visit the Home Ec details post on Freckled Nest.

    Annnd, before I go- click here for a link to a printable 40% off coupon for Joann Fabric. They're having a big sale this weekend too, and I got a lot of cute things for a low price! Definitely worth a look.

    Happy Home-Ec-ing!Source URL: http://sweettattooforgirls.blogspot.com/2010/08/home-ec-fun.html
    Visit sweet tattoo for girls wallpaper for Daily Updated Hairstyles Collection

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

My Blog List