Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Tattoo Tuesday V.29


    This week I am so happy to feature my friend Melissa! I've known this beautiful gal for a long, long time, and met her through our mutual friend Elisa many years ago. Most recently she's become quite the successful stylist and wedding blogger (which comes as no surprise to me!), and I'm so excited to feature her here on Sometimes Sweet. It's funny because she's recently featured me on her blog, so it's fun to be able to share the love! I've talked about Melissa's website before, and if you don't already follow Melissa over at The Loveliest Day, you're really missing out! Even though I'm already married, I find a lot of inspiration in her posts- there's absolutely something for everyone. Definitely head over there and give her blog a look. But now, on to the tattoos!

    Name and blog name: Melissa | The Loveliest Day

    Age: 27

    Occupation: Wedding Blogger + Stylist

    Age of first tattoo: 17

    Favorite tattoo: It's really hard to choose which tattoo is my favorite, I love them all for different reasons. If I absolutely had to pick, I would probably choose my 'Dia de los Muertos' 3/4 sleeve.

    Featured tattoo/location: Victorian lady on my upper back.

    Artist/shop/location of feature tattoo: Matt Shamah | Analog Tattoo in San Jose, CA


    1) Tell us about the tattoo you are sharing with us- is there a background story or special meaning? Why did you choose this particular piece of art?

    I have always been a big fan of Victorian artwork and had been wanting to get a tattoo to reflect that. I had a horrible tattoo (one of my first) on the back of my neck and wanted to get it covered before my wedding. That situation paired with my longing for a tattoo inspired by Victorian art led to this piece. My basic idea was the silhouette of a Victorian lady wearing an elaborate hat. I knew I wanted to incorporate some Victorian butterflies and flowers,and wanted the colors to be cool toned. From there, I let Matt do his magic!

    2) Do you have any other tattoos? If so, what do you have and where?

    'Dia de los Muertos' 3/4 sleeve on right arm | Vintage revolver chest piece | Butterfly on lower back (my first tattoo, pretty obvious choice, right?:) | Owl on left calf | 'Firestorm' on inner lip



    3) Do you plan on getting more?

    Yes! I have plans for a few different tattoos in the works. Various smaller pieces on my ribs, sleeve on my left arm, adding more to my current sleeve to make it full rather than 3/4, and a tattoo to commemorate my wedding on my foot. My husband got his, so now it's my turn. That one is coming up next:)




    4) How do your family and friends feel about your tattoo(s)? Have you run into any adversity or negativity because of them?

    It's been almost 10 years since I got my first "big" tattoo, so my family has had time to get used to the idea. My parents weren't fans to begin with and honestly still aren't, but they realize it's a part of me and doesn't change who I am. My Mom still cringes each time I get a new tattoo, but she is free to have her own opinion:)

    Almost all of my friends are also heavily tattooed, so negativity among friends has never been an issue. I was concerned when I was younger than having a lot of big visible tattoos could impede future work opportunities, but I was surprised to encounter the exact opposite reaction. If anything, having tattoos has helped me in my career. They're just a part of me, nothing I consider an asset or a hindrance , but it's been nice to embraced for who I am, tattoos included.



    5) Any advice for those interested in getting tattooed but haven't gotten one yet?

    Take your time! I got my first tattoo at 17 with a fake ID. Not the best idea I've ever had. I will admit I have a tattoo or two that I wish I hadn't gotten, so now I think long and hard before getting anything new. If you think you want something, wait 6 months. If you still want it, then get it. Also, don't let people tell you "Oh, getting tattooed doesn't hurt!". If you're getting anything big or that takes more than a few hours, it definitely hurts. Clearly, I keep getting tattooed though, so in the end the pain is worth it:)


    Source URL: http://sweettattooforgirls.blogspot.com/2010/08/tattoo-tuesday-v29.html
    Visit sweet tattoo for girls wallpaper for Daily Updated Hairstyles Collection

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

My Blog List