Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Tattoo Tuesday V.32


    This week I am featuring one of the sweetest, cutest ladies in the blogging world, Ms. Kyla Roma! If you don't already read her blog do yourself a favor and pop on over to say hello. She's always posting tons of goodness and her site always a fun, engaging read. Kyla also has some beautiful artwork on her body, and I'm so happy she was excited to share them with all of you!

    Name and blog name: Kyla Roma - http://www.kylaroma.com

    Age: 25

    Occupation: Blog designer for Freckled Nest & part time receptionist

    Age of first tattoo: 18

    Favorite tattoo: My shoulder piece!

    Featured tattoo/location: My cherry blossom shoulder piece & partial sleeve

    Artist/shop/location of featured tattoo: Rich at Kapala Tattoo in Winnipeg, Manitoba (Canada!)




    1) Tell us about the tattoo you are sharing with us- is there a background story or special meaning? Why did you choose this particular piece of art?

    I love Japanese art and mythology, and because I have a koi fish on my back I wanted something that would work with that visually. Cherry blossoms can represent both the beauty and brevity of life, but beyond that they're just beautiful and are everywhere in my favourite city, Vancouver. I've been going out there every year to visit my best friend for a long time, and it's a place where I can go to regroup and get away from the daily grind. It's a reminder to myself to focus on the beautiful things in life, and to not take things so seriously.

    2) Do you have any other tattoos? If so, what do you have and where?

    I have a 8"
    koi fish swimming on my back that was my first tattoo I got when I was 18. My favourite thing about her is the expression on her face - she's a very happy and feminine fish!


    3) Do you plan on getting more?

    Yes! I'm planning to make both my arms half sleeves, to pull the cherry blossoms down below my elbow on my left arm and to incorporate some colourful and detailled birds on both arms. I have lots of ideas for when I have more spending money.

    4) How do your family and friends feel about your tattoo(s)? Have you run into any adversity or negativity because of them?

    I anticipated that I would get negative reactions, but it really hasn't happened.
    I've had a coworker make fun of my shoulder piece once, but I think that really comes from a place of not taking the time to understand, or not knowing what to say.

    My family is used to the tattoo on my back, and they're still getting used to my shoulder piece. Everyone has been kind and curious, if a little taken aback, but they all know me really well and think it suits me. I'm still wearing cardigans around my grandparents, but they're really sweet people who try to understand what I'm going through, so I'm not going to keep it hidden forever.

    Generally I've been a little surprised by the amount of staring that people do at tattoos, but I've already started tuning it out and I don't notice too much any more. Mostly it's been really positive because I've wanted this for so long, and to finally have it feels fantastic. When someone comments on how beautiful they think it is, it really makes my day.


    5) Any advice for those interested in getting tattooed but haven't gotten one yet?

    Public Service Announcement: Being tattooed on top of your collarbone is a really special kind of awful. I love mine, but I'm not sure that I'll do the top of my shoulders when I do my right arm! Make sure you eat a good meal about an hour before you go to your appointment so you don't run out of energy. Long sessions are exhausting, and sugary drinks can really help you. And if your shop doesn't have a TV, bring a laptop and a bunch of DVDs.

    Also, don't be a hero! If your artist has a long wait list, book two appointments to shade & colour a large piece up front. My artist had a four month waiting list, and when we did the colour it lasted for just shy of five hours. Had I thought ahead and scheduled two appointments I could have had the colour done with only a few weeks between appointments instead of having to do it all at once or wait four months.

    Source URL: http://sweettattooforgirls.blogspot.com/2010/08/tattoo-tuesday-v32.html
    Visit sweet tattoo for girls wallpaper for Daily Updated Hairstyles Collection

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

My Blog List