Monday, December 28, 2009

Thoughts on being a teacher and blogging

    Well, today I was reminded yet again of the fact that what I write is here in a public forum for all eyes to see...including my teenage students and their parents. I was browsing my blog's statistics today and noticed that one of the Google search phrases used to find this site was "Danielle Hampton English teacher." YUCK. I hate thinking about that fact that some of my students and their parents could be reading every little detail about my life. Don't get me wrong, I love my job and enjoy my students...but I definitely don't want them involved in my life in any way outside of the classroom. I livejournaled for many years before I was a teacher, and I have always loved it. I don't think that being a teacher should force me to change what I enjoy doing in my spare time. I don't feel my blog has ANY questionable content, but I am still sitting here, quite uncomfortable knowing that my little life is so out on the table. Granted, it always has been, and it's a given when blogging...but when I'm reminded like this it makes me second-guess my decision to be so public.

    You see all those stories in the newspaper- "Teacher loses job over questionable Facebook photo," etc...so it's always a weird feeling to be a teacher and to be on social networking sites and blogs. However, the only thing "questionable" I could even see on this site would be my tattoos- some people just don't agree with them. With that said, tattoos are not a reason to lose a job. You just never know who is reading what you write, and what their perception of the content will be. My blog is hit many times a day with many different blog searches- often my full name is searched for, and I know those could be anyone. But for some reason when I saw the "English teacher" attached it made me incredibly uncomfortable.

    So anyway, I just had to share this little burst of unwelcome insecurity about my blog. I'm currently feeling weird about writing, and I really hope this passes in a minute or two. I'm looking forward to the very near future when a simple Google search won't matter to me. Until then, I'm sure my teacher-self will continue to be uncomfortable.Source URL: http://sweettattooforgirls.blogspot.com/2009/12/thoughts-on-being-teacher-and-blogging.html
    Visit sweet tattoo for girls wallpaper for Daily Updated Hairstyles Collection

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

My Blog List

Blog Archive