Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Tattoo Tuesday V.6

    I'm back again with another Tattoo Tuesday. This time I am featuring two lovely people...and one of them is a GUY! Please make my dear, dear friend Alex feel welcome, as he is the first fellow to ever be featured on Sometimes Sweet. :)

    But first things first- and our first and only lady for today is the beautiful Keiko. I'm really excited to feature Ms. Keiko because not only do I think her tattoo is wonderful, I also adore her blog and the clothing she creates. So without further adieu...



    Name: Keiko, from http://keikolynn.blogspot.com/

    Tattoo/location: Geisha on left ribs

    Artist/shop/location: Brian, Chrome Lotus, Orlando, Fl. He moved to South Carolina, though.

    1) Tell us about the tattoo you are sharing with us- is there a background story or special meaning? Why did you choose this particular piece of art?

    There isn't a profound meaning behind my tattoo; I'm 1/4 Japanese, so I suppose it might have something to do with it. But really, I just wanted something aesthetically pleasing. I decided I wanted to get a geisha, nothing too traditional. I knew I wanted something modern, so I contacted my friend Dré, an amazing artist in Orlando, and had him draw some different options. Once I picked out the sketch, he colored it and we brought it to the shop. It was really cool; he came and watched as his art became a tattoo on my side. All of us - Dré, Brian (tattoo artist) and I - were really excited about it. I'm so pleased with how it came out.





    2) Do you have any other tattoos? If so, what do you have and where?

    I have one tattoo on my lower back that says, "she wakes up lonely." It's from when I was 18. It's stupid but I don't regret it; the memories are what make it.

    3) Do you plan on getting more?

    Absolutely. I don't want to rush into anything until I know exactly what I want. I wouldn't ever get flash; it has to be original.

    4) How do your family and friends feel about your tattoo(s)? Have you run into any adversity or negativity because of them?

    My family loves them. Most of them have tattoos of their own. My great grandpa was tattooed! It's nothing new to my family. As far as the general public, most people don't know I have them. They're easily covered.

    5) Any advice for those interested in getting tattooed but haven't gotten one yet?

    Put a lot of thought into what you're getting, what placement you want and where you get it done. Research shops, look at portfolios and reviews. There are so many bad tattoo shops out there and you don't want to end up with something you can't easily reverse.

    Our second feature today is Alex!



    Name: Alex Zavaleta from The (coming soon) Fancy Sandwich Blog, Super7 blog, and BannedinDC.com

    Tattoo/location: Rocket From The Crypt/Jack-o-latern/inside of left arm

    Artist/shop/location: James Cumberland , Live Wire Tattoo in Florida.



    1) Tell us about the tattoo you are sharing with us- is there a background story or special meaning? Why did you choose this particular piece of art?

    It's a logo tattoo of the band Rocket From The Crypt. Rocket From The Crypt had a rule that if you got their logo tattooed, you were allowed into all their shows for free. When they announced their last show in 2005, some of my friends and I decided to fly out to San Diego for it. Most of us got our RFTC tattoos the week before the last show.

    It was a great weekend and this tattoo reminds me of my friends just as much as it reminds me of RFTC . My friends and I have several matching "friend" tattoos. Some of them are silly and some are not. Anytime I'm asked which tattoos are my favorites I always tend to choose my friend ones. As cheesy as it sounds, they are great reminders that no matter where we are living in the world, we always have each other. I always have a piece of them with me.



    2) Do you have any other tattoos? If so, what do you have and where?

    I have several on my arms, legs, chest. They range in topics from robots, food, coffins, flowers, Japan, The Cro-Mags, lucky cats, the Washington D.C. area, candles, the Bad Brains and various traditional American tattoo imagery.

    Here are a few:

    Candle bat/Chest/Ken Brown/Tattoo Revival in Fredericksburg, VA


    Coffin & Cro-mags /Right forearm/Kelley Drake/Tattoo Revival in Fredericksburg, VA


    Evaporating man/Left leg/James Cumberland


    3) Do you plan on getting more?

    Definitely! It comes down to finding the time though. To complicate it, the artists I currently would like to get tattooed by are in Japan or on the other side of the country and have long waiting lists. Regardless I have been saving my back for Shige (Japan) or Kore Flatmo (OH). Both are artists I am willing to wait quite a long time for. I currently have time set to get tattooed by Chris Trevino in March. My dream would be to get something by Filip Leu, King Rat or Mike Giant.

    I'd also like to add that even though I've never really tattooed before, I would like to tattoo Scott Magrath's face. Maybe tattoo his eyebrows & give him a permanently surprised expression. Real talk: He's not a legit biker until his face is tattooed. (I must chime in here and say HAHA!! YES. -Danielle)

    4) How do your family and friends feel about your tattoo(s)? Have you run into any adversity or negativity because of them?

    Well a great number of my friends are heavily covered so it's not really an issue. I think most of us forget we even have them until someone we don't know says something. I'm sure many of your readers know this feeling.

    My parents don't like my tattoos. So out of respect I try and keep them covered when I visit them. It's a small price to pay to keep my parents happy so I don't mind. On the other hand I once dated a girl whose parents could never get over my tattoos. It was always a issue and a point of frustration in our relationship. They never warmed up to me and I honestly did everything in my power to try to win them over. I just think in the end some people will just never be able to look past them. I think in those cases you can only be yourself and hope for the best. In my professional life I've always kept them covered until the "coast was clear." Professionally it's never been an issue and I feel very thankful for that.

    5) Any advice for those interested in getting tattooed but haven't gotten one yet?

    Common sense goes a long way but I understand that it's easy to get anxious. I managed a tattoo shop for about 4 years and here are some of the tips I gave out on a regular basis:

    - Do your research. This has been said a lot already on other Tattoo Tuesdays but it is SO key.
    - Don't look for deals. The old adage is true: "Good tattoos aren't cheap and cheap tattoos aren't good"
    - Look for UP TO DATE portfolios. Just because he/she was good at one point doesn't mean they still are. Also don't fall for the bait and switch. Sometimes disreputable shops will show you good work but stick you with someone else. Even the most simple tattoo can be messed up by someone who is inexperienced. That also goes for apprentices, just don't do it. Even if they are your best friend. It's never worth it.
    - Don't have you friend who "draws really well" design your tattoo. Let someone who does it for a living draw/design it. If you like your tattoo artist's style of art then it will be up to your standard.
    - The more references you bring them, the more they will understand what you want. The reference doesn't have to be exactly what you want but an idea helps them a lot.
    - Once the person draws it for you, don't be afraid to tell them to change it. They are professionals and should be able to deal with changes.
    - Be willing to adapt. Sometimes what looks good in your head (or on paper) doesn't look good on skin.
    - Never get tattooed on an empty stomach. This is the main cause of fainting.
    - FACT: Ladies always handle getting tattoos better then men.

    how Arizona of AlexSource URL: http://sweettattooforgirls.blogspot.com/2010/02/tattoo-tuesday-v6.html
    Visit sweet tattoo for girls wallpaper for Daily Updated Hairstyles Collection

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

My Blog List