Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Wednesday

    Wednesday

    love that little face

    Today was a fairly non-eventful day. School went by quickly and pleasantly. My sophomores worked on vocabulary (some of our words are vociferous, discern, and obviate, if you were curious) :) and finished up Ray Bradbury's short story "A Sound of Thunder." My seniors continued our documentary unit with the end of "Food Inc." Very fun day overall!

    I wanted to share a book recommendation with all of you, and I will try and continue to recommend a book once a week or so, as requested! One of my students gave me this book to borrow a few months back, and it quickly became one of my favorites. It is a young adult book, but I still really enjoyed it and got into the story right away. You can click on the book to view it via amazon.com.



    Have any of you read it? Two of my ALL-TIME favorite books are "A Wrinkle in Time"(another YA book- but a classic) and "The Handmaid's Tale." If you liked either of those books, or books like "Brave New World" or "Fahrenheit 451" you will be into this series. If you don't like books set in fictional, futuristic time periods, or science fiction-esque writing...you more than likely won't like this book! BUT I still recommend though, because due to it being a YA book, it's an incredibly quick and engaging read and you never know if maybe this is a genre you will end up loving!

    The Hunger Games is set in a dystopian society- a futuristic post-USA, where the nation is divided into districts, and led by an insane government/dictatorship. The main idea is that each district must send in two "tributes," or representatives to fight in the Hunger Games each year- a televised "to the death" battle with only one winner. The purpose of the Games is to remind the districts and common people that they are just pawns in the government's hands, following an uprising many years ago. The book is so much more than that though- there is a love story finely woven throughout the chapters, and the best part is...it's just book one of a three part series! Book two, "Catching Fire," is JUST as wonderful (if not more wonderful), and I am anxiously awaiting book three, which will be released this summer. They are also currently beginning film production of this book, which is always exciting.

    If you check it out, let me know what you think! You can find it in the Young Adult section of your bookstore, or online of course. It's been really neat for me to be able to suggest this to many of my students, as it is completely classroom and age appropriate, but in my opinion, just as intriguing for readers of all ages.

    So, I hope all of you had a great day. I've been feeling a little "off" lately, and I'm not too sure why. I finally feel better tonight, which is making me happy, but it's just really annoying to not know why you're not feeling 100% yourself. I'm just going to chalk it up to feeling a bit hormonal and leave it at that. Oh, how wonderful it is to be a girl. ;)

    This week has literally flown by! Tomorrow, then off to Phoenix for a quick trip that is all about Alana and Erin and celebrating their birthdays. I really can't wait to spend another weekend with my lovely girlfriends. AND, baby Carter is due to arrive next week. So much goodness happening right now. I hope that goodness is finding itself in your neck of the woods, wherever you may be!

    Have a great night!

    Source URL: http://sweettattooforgirls.blogspot.com/2010/02/wednesday_03.html
    Visit sweet tattoo for girls wallpaper for Daily Updated Hairstyles Collection

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

My Blog List