Sunday, May 15, 2011

8 weeks to a better me: Week 3/Healthy Eating


    This week I am so happy to have my VERY favorite food blogger here...I feel honored to have Tracy posting on Sometimes Sweet today, and I am beyond excited about what she's sharing.  When I thought about who I wanted to talk about healthy food, Tracy was the first person that came to mind- and with good reason. Shutterbean is chock full of amazing, healthy ideas, and whenever I leave Tracy's site I am inspired to expand our menu with new, delicious meals and desserts. I also love that she isn't afraid to indulge, and she shares a lot of treats and sweets, but made with yummy whole food ingredients. Definitely stop by Shutterbean and say hello! I guarantee you will love it as much as I do- it's truly an AMAZING blog and resource, chock full of beautiful photos and recipes. Thank you again Tracy for being a part of this feature.

    Hi I'm Tracy!!  My blog, Shutterbean is where I share my love for food, photography & prettie things. I'm a working mom who absolutely LOVES to cook & bake. I make sure to fit time in my schedule to do so because it feeds me keeps me sane & feeds me creatively!

    Before I begin, I want to thank Danielle for having me! Thanks Danielle!  I'm really excited to talk to you about Healthy Eating habits and give you a few tips on making good healthy food choices. A few months ago I was looking at my posts and realized that I totally have formula on my blog. Bake something totally naughty THEN post a few healthier cooking recipes afterward!  Honestly, this is how I live my life and this is how I am able to keep my weight in check. You too can have baked goods and yummy treats if you respect MODERATION! It's all about balancing it out!

    So here are three ESSENTIAL tips I have for you:


    1. Drink WATER!!

    Getting sick of this mantra? Don't!! I read once that our brains easily confuse the feeling of thirst with hunger. So before you dive for a handful of chips, drink some water!  You could be consuming unnecessary calories for no reason! A good tip for drinking water is to fill up a pretty pitcher of water in the morning and make a goal to have it finished by a certain time of day. I can hear you saying, "But water is sooooo boring!" It doesn't have to be! I like to add a few slices of cucumbers, oranges & lemons to perk up my water. You could also make some iced tea and dilute it throughout the day. These little things makes a difference!

     

    2. Keep healthy snacks with you for on the go!

    Every couple of weeks I take stock of what's in my pantry. I pour the leftover dried fruits & nuts into a bowl and make my own trail-mix. I put the trail-mix in baggies and keep a few of them in my purse at ALL TIMES. When I'm driving home from work, I reach into my bag and eat some. The best part is that it helps prevent me from bingeing on something not so healthy for me when I get home and it ties me over til dinner time! Save your baggies & recycle them for your next batch! 


    I also make my own Fully Loaded Granola bars too!  They are especially tasty & totally kid friendly!

    And my last trick.....


    3. Eat at least ONE salad EVERY DAY.

    This just makes sense! I like to have a large salad at dinner because I wake up the next morning feeling light and fresh! If I have a salad at lunch, it's usually because I know I'm going to be having something goooooood for dinner!  And when I say goooooood, I really mean something naughty!

    Here's a bonus tip: Remember! YOU ARE WHAT YOU EAT!!!

    Wouldn't you rather be a nice handful of healthy, vibrant tomatoes than a preservative laden bag of nutritionally void potato chips??

    Think about it....

     

    Oh oh!! Wait I have one more thing to add!

    Make sure you eat the rainbow! Vary your diet with different colors. Not only is it healthy, it helps keep things interesting!


    So that's it! I hope this leaves you feeling somewhat inspired. Eating healthy is EASY! You just have to make time to do it.

    If you want to add a few really great/healthy cookbooks to your library, these are a few of my favorites:

    Appetite for Reduction (everything is vegan AND low cal/low fat & SUPER tasty)

    Everyday Food Magazine (I could go on forever about why I love this. Get an issue and it will change your life!)

    Power Foods, from the Editors of Whole Living (A very comprehensive look at Super Foods with great/healthy recipes!)

    Super Natural Every Day Cookbook (Lovely, inspiring, beautiful food that makes you feel good!)

    Mad Hungry: Feeding Men and Boys (This is not JUST for feeding men & boys! It's all about homemade, comfort food & feeding your children!)

    And be sure to stop by my website!  You'll find at least two new recipes every week!

     1) Try out two new kinds of vegetables. I typically get pretty stuck in a veggie rut, and Hank and I often eat the same types- broccoli, bell peppers, onions and tons of garlic. Recently we branched out a bit and integrated kale into our weekly menu and loved it. I'm going food shopping tomorrow and my goal is to pick up two new to us veggies and work them into our meals this week.
    2) To go off #3, eat a salad everyday!

    3) Drink 3 Camelbak bottles full of a water a day.

    So, those are my 3 goals for the week, what are yours? Be sure to link in the comments! I can't wait to check yours out, too!
    Source URL: http://sweettattooforgirls.blogspot.com/2011/05/8-weeks-to-better-me-week-3healthy.html
    Visit sweet tattoo for girls wallpaper for Daily Updated Hairstyles Collection

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

My Blog List

Blog Archive