Sunday, May 15, 2011

XL Sponsor Highlight Post: May

     This month's XL feature is Krista, from Saturated Canary. Krista is an artist who creates the loveliest little illustrations. Be sure to hop over to her blog and Etsy, and say hello!


    My name is Krista.  I am a Mama to Niamh, 7 and Philly, 5.  I've been married to my blind date;) for almost 10 years.  We live in South Jersey.  It's quiet and kinda country here...so it's a nice place to raise our kids and enjoy our home and families.


    I work from home, drawing my own special characters.  They are an eclectic mix of girls and boys inspired by a love of all things nerdy, cheeky, creepy, and beautiful.  I currently produce designs for a stamp company in Scotland called Sugar Nellie, and I am hoping to illustrate a children's book in the future (preferably my own...because I love to write as well).  I am inspired by my own children, my love for the Lord, and a deep belief that anything is truly possible...Sometimes dreams just take time and some extra hard work.  They are within our reach...Just gotta get up on those tippy-toes from time to time.


    Thanks for taking the time to read about my family and my love of character art...It means lots!:)

    1) Tell us a little about yourself and your blog.

    I am 31 years old. I have a degree in civil engineering, but have taken the last year off to be home with my son and explore some opportunities as an artist.  To be honest, I really never liked sitting in a cubicle.  I use to visit the Etsy site during my lunch breaks and dream about being able to create for a living...being my own boss...and feeling like I wasn't bound by schedules and meeting times.  I love waking up each day and feeling free to be spontaneous...do fun, random things with the kids, and just live simply...enjoying the little things that make each day special.  I hope to use my background in engineering/ water resources in missions field work someday...and look forward to seeing what God can do with open hands and a willing heart.  For now, I plan on continuing with my character art, illustrating new projects, and working on being published. 

    2) What inspires you?


    Hmmm...This is a hard one to keep short and sweet:)  My favorite, *favorite* characters to draw include pretty monsters (especially zombies), nerdy girls (with ginormous glasses), and girls with attitude.  I like finding the beauty in something typically perceived as ugly.  My favorite all time movie role is the Wicked Witch of the West.  If you've seen the musical Wicked (or read the book),  it's easy to see that there is so much more behind the grimace in the movie...I love giving a back story to a character...a zombie with a twinkle in her eye...a witch that has a quirky smile...Something that says-- yeah, there is more to me than what you see:).  As far as nerdy characters, I just love big glasses and notebooks.  I am always inspired by my own kids, my own wonderful childhood memories, good music, fashion (I have a thing for Gwen Stefani boots...they are on lots of my characters), and sometimes just watching people.  There are lots of characters in this world...just waiting to be put on paper:)

    3) If you had the opportunity to tell your 15-year old self anything, what would you tell her?


    Whatever you choose to do in life, do it because it is in your heart and because you feel it in your soul...not because it makes sense or is what others expect.  Fearlessly try new things.  Have a plan, but be okay ditching it sometimes.  Enjoy the first phone call you get from the marine...It will be the beginning of the rest of your life.  And don't expect to be a cute pregnant lady.  It's just not in the cards for you.  :)  

    4) Name the first five beautiful things you see right now:

    a drawing from Niamh...it's one of the Chipettes and says, " I love you so much."

    hubby on couch.  well, he's not really beautiful...but he is really handsome:)

    sleeping kiddies in bedroom.  so quiet and dreamy:)

    a handmade card from a woman I met through designing stamps...they are such creative and amazing ladies!

    a stack of books that includes three Bibles, a journal where I write milestones and funny things the kids do, On Writing (a memoir by Stephen King), and an Alvin and the Chipmunks coloring book...A stack of books can tell a lot about a family:)

    -----

    Thank you so much for being a part of Sometimes Sweet this month Krista! And readers, don't forget to pop over and say hello!Source URL: http://sweettattooforgirls.blogspot.com/2011/05/xl-sponsor-highlight-post-may.html
    Visit sweet tattoo for girls wallpaper for Daily Updated Hairstyles Collection

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

My Blog List

Blog Archive