Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Mama Said, V.14

    This is the second to last week of this feature and I am so excited about both of these blogging mamas! The first one is one of my favorite people in general, and she is the Mom of a Henry too!  I adore Allie, and I can't say enough great things about it. It's neat to watch her little Henry grow up, because it gives me a taste of what it will be like when our Henry is that age. She documents her family's beautiful life on her blog, and if you don't already read It's a Wonderful Life, I suggest you hightail it over there and add it to your list! Allie is truly a gem and I feel lucky to know her. The second Mom is another fabulous gal by the name of Christina. I've gotten to know Christina a little more through her blog (which I love), and I really appreciate her honest approach to parenting. Most recently I thought her post about how she saves money as a new SAHM was awesome, and how amazing does this banana cupcake with honey cinnamon frosting look? So glad she shared the recipe. Christina is gorgeous and her family is just darling...pair that with the honesty I mentined earlier, good writing, and cute photos, and her blog is another read I definitely recommend! Thank you ladies for being a part of this feature. And now first up, Allie!


    My name is Allie and I'm (fairly) new to the whole mama thing.  Even though it can be stressful at times, we're loving every new second we get to experience with our Henry. We've discovered that all of the things you loved before becoming parents are a million times more awesome when you add a baby to the mix. Henry just turned one and it feels like every day he does something new. We're honestly just learning as we go and having tons of fun!

    Advice:

    1. Music is powerful. Seriously. Play it as often as you can! Anything and everything, babies eat it up and it can be used to soothe, distract, and educate.

    2. When your baby is old enough and you feel like it's the right time (you'll just know), get them on an actual sleep schedule. Henry didn't start sleeping through the night until he was eleven months old and he wasn't napping very much during the day. Totally my fault because I just assumed he knew when to sleep and when not to sleep. We've recently started putting him down for naps at the same time everyday and he caught on quickly. Some days those few hours I get to myself save my sanity.

    3. Know that it's okay to feel totally overwhelmed and stressed out. Every mom feels it- that horrible "funk". It's so easy to beat yourself up but DON'T. Just think of all the responsibilities you've taken on in such a short amount of time! At the end of the night, remember that tomorrow is a new day and that you will figure things out over time. 


    Alrighty, here we go!  A bit about my family:

    My husband (Gerhard) and I met in England (though he is from South Africa, and I'm from Texas).  We got married quickly and ended up staying in England for 3 years, which is where I gave birth to our son, Charl (pronounced Sharl).  We stayed there for about a year, and then moved back to Texas to be closer to my family and settle down!  Charl is now 2 1/2 years old.

    Here is my "Mama Said" advice.

    1. ALWAYS play!  ALWAYS.  One of the most fun things about having children is being one again yourself.  I think it is especially important when they are little, and you are their very best friend in the whole wide world.  Soon enough, they won't want you to play trains/ dress up/ spin until you're sick games.  It's hard to get housework etc all done in one day.  Who cares?  Put it off.  It won't kill you... missing out on your son/ daughters eyes lighting up when you do a silly dance... missing that might kill you.

    2.  Trust your instincts.  This is so hard as new parents.  Don't get me wrong I'm not saying don't ever ask for advice.  Ask everyone questions, like, all the time.  But then don't feel bad if you decide they are stupid and decide you know what is best.  It's your family.  You will figure out what works.  On the same note, try try try not to let the judgement of other people get to you about choices you make.  We all do it unfortunately, but just try to take everything with a grain of salt, then add whatever the hell spice you want anyway.

    3.  Don't forget your significant other.  It can be really hard when you've had 3 hours sleep, vomit on your shirt, and haven't bathed in 2 days and feel as sexy as a wooden spoon.  But you used to like sex right?  I mean, that's how you ended up tired and with baby vomit I assume.  ;)  I think it is important to reconnect on this very personal level with your partner.  THEY will appreciate it, and trust me... a good shag always helps with stress.Source URL: http://sweettattooforgirls.blogspot.com/2011/05/mama-said-v14.html
    Visit sweet tattoo for girls wallpaper for Daily Updated Hairstyles Collection

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

My Blog List

Blog Archive