Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Tattoo Tuesday V.68

     

    Name and blog name:  Morgan Powell // www.ofroses.com

    Age:
    21

    Occupation:  Between a lot of things (unemployed). At the moment, just trying to figure out which of my dreams to really focus on.

    Age of first tattoo: 18. It was just a simple outline of a star on my wrist (I know, so original), but I learned my most important tattoo lesson that day. As much as I truly appreciate the artist's opinion, I know better than to listen to them 100 percent. If you're convinced of what you want, don't let the artist sway you. He tried to get me to put the tattoo somewhere else (less conspicuous), assuming I'd regret the decision (I didn't), or at least in light blue or pink so that it wouldn't be so noticeable. I thought about his suggestions, but in the end decided against them. It's so easy (for me--I'm terribly indecisive) to second-guess my tattoo vision when someone is attempting to talk me out of it, but in the end I'm always happy with my decision. The same happened with my second tattoo, but again, I stuck with the plan, and wouldn't want it any other way.

    Favorite tattoo:  The featured tattoo, a dead raven.

    Featured tattoo/location: A dead raven on my left forearm.

    Artist/shop/location of feature tattoo:
    Stranded in Savannah, Ga (best tattoo shop! James is so awesome, he basically freehanded the whole thing).


    1) Tell us about your featured tattoo- is there a background story or special meaning? Why did you choose this particular piece of art?

    This tattoo was pretty impulsive--I hadn't really intended on getting it until I went as moral support for a friend of mine who wanted to get his first. When he backed out of what he was going to get, I stepped up and presented an idea for something I'd been thinking about. While I do love Edgar Allen Poe and have a pretty healthy curiosity of death, this one doesn't have much special meaning or story. But I've found that not every tattoo has to have that, which is difficult for people who don't have any to understand.


    2) Do you have any other tattoos?  If so, what do you have and where? 


    There is one on my upper back that reads   "and night (climbs the air,"   the last line of my favorite e.e. cummings poem. e.e. cummings is also my favorite poet (besides Rainer Maria Rilke), and coincidentally happens to be the same poet my father read from when he was "wooing" my mom, back before I was even an idea in their heads. This is also the tattoo that causes the most confusion. The Native American woman on the right side of my back is an image I originally fell in love with the when I saw it in my sister's portfolio (not hers originally, but she did a fantastic job drawing it). Pretty much immediately, I decided that at some point I wanted it as a tattoo. One, because it reminds me of my sister, and two, because our great grandfather was a Cherokee Indian Chief and we've always loved that part of our heritage because it is so connected to the earth and to the cycle of life.  The other tattoo is just a simple lightning bolt on my foot (I used to say I would never get tattooed on my feet or legs!). It was an anniversary tattoo, and my boyfriend has a matching one on his foot (I also used to scoff at couples who got matching tattoos, but in the end, we've been best friends for over five years now, so no matter what it's a tattoo that commemorates us.)



    3) Do you plan on getting more? 

    Definitely! As soon as I have the extra cash, I already have my next two in mind.


    4) How do your family and friends feel about your tattoo(s)?  Have you run into any adversity or negativity because of them? 

    My dad took it the hardest, and I tried to hide it from him for the longest time but eventually, of course, he saw them. My mom just takes it for what it is--she tries not to dictate what my sister and I do for the most part--and my sister just thinks that I'm too impulsive (she's right). My friends have always been supportive (for the most part), and Brian has the matching lightning bolt, but that's about it. He's a big wimp when it comes to pain. As for adversity, I've definitely gotten some stares and a few nasty looks (mostly when it comes to my back), but I really don't get offended by that. In a way (and I think this is the Aries side of me rearing its ugly head) I enjoy causing a stir, and I love upsetting people's idea of what's "normal."

    5) Any advice for those interested in getting tattooed but haven't gotten one yet?

    If you really want it, get it. Don't let anyone try to talk you out of it. You don't know what will happen in a year, let alone fifty years, down the road--so do what you love and don't think so hard. If I was old and wrinkly and tattoo-less, I'm sure I would regret that more than being old and wrinkly and tattooed. You only live once. That being said, it's always good to make sure you love what you put in permanent ink on your body, and definitely find an artist that you feel a connection with. My biggest rule when picking an artist is being sure that I like their non-tattoo art in addition to their tattoo art. After all, a tattoo artist is an artist first. And if it's somewhere visible, it's important that you enjoy talking to strangers. Because there will always be someone to ask you about your tattoos.

    Source URL: http://sweettattooforgirls.blogspot.com/2011/05/tattoo-tuesday-v68.html
    Visit sweet tattoo for girls wallpaper for Daily Updated Hairstyles Collection

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

My Blog List

Blog Archive