Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Wednesday, Wednesday

    First of all, thanks for all the wonderful feedback on the new feature, Tattoo Tuesday. I'm really excited to do this every week and it should be a lot of fun!

    So today I was still feeling pretty sick- and I still feel a little under the weather...but not as bad as yesterday. I don't take medicine unless it's a really serious situation, so I relied on all of my natural remedies and I definitely think I'm in the clear. Hank is also sick, and was still sick at work today too, so I'm curious to see how he feels when he gets home. I came home from work early today, rather than staying and going to meetings, and I think the extra rest definitely helped. I went on a little walk outside for some fresh air and I'm in the "getting better" zone for sure. Yay. I'm never sick and I'm such a baby when I am, so good riddance to you, cold or sinus infection or whatever you are. Here are some photos from today:

    Wednesday

    "I am not getting sick, I am not getting sick..."

    trying to show my bow belt! I need to get a better photo of it.
    trying to show my bow belt!


    Hank just walked in the door and is still sniffly, poor guy. I'm going to make us a macro platter and then I'm going to dedicate the night to reading one of the books I'm working on - Cleaving: A Story of Meat, Marriage, and Obsession by Julie Powell, via my beloved Kindle. Can I make a quick plug about my Kindle DX for a moment? I LOVE IT. One of my most favorite things about this great gadget is the free book samples. Basically when you're surfing around Amazon.com or the Kindle store on the device, you can have the first chapter of ANY book you like, sent to you for free! I love this because I often buy a book and then end of really disliking it. This way, I can get to know a new author or book, no strings attached! Additionally, I'm the kind of person that is in the middle of 3-4 books at a time. With the Kindle, I can switch between books and store as many books as I would like. It's just awesome. Like I mentioned before, I'm currently reading Cleaving, and I like it so far. It's by the author of Julie and Julia, and it's another memoir that follows Julie's life after she hit it big with her book deal, etc. If you read it, you know that Julie and Julia is a book of a blog...and it's a true story. Cleaving is quite interesting in that it involves Julie working as a butcher, so a lot of the story has to do with many details about that topic. I would go as far as to say that the book's descriptions may be a little much for non-meat eaters or those with a squeamish stomach. The writing is great though, and I'm definitely curious to see where this story line is going. I'll keep you posted!

    I thought I'd do something a little different today. I wanted to share four really yummy items from our pantry and recommend them to you guys! I consider all of these food substitute foods for delicious, packaged items that are typically pretty bad for you.

    food review for my blog

    The first food (upper left corner) is Trader Joe's 100-calorie dark chocolate sticks. I love these because number one, with its antioxidant properties, dark chocolate is a good way to justify eating sweets every once and awhile! And two, the sticks are a really generous size, and sometimes I only eat half. 100-calories is a great snack and if you're craving dark chocolate- it's 70% dark too, which is yummy! Although there are 8g of fat and 5g of saturated fat, I still eat a stick of this maybe once or twice or week if I'm craving it. Definitely a staple in our house!

    The second item (upper right corner) is something that is so, so necessary in our pantry for me. I am a total mac 'n cheese girl, and back when I didn't care too much about things like preservatives and all that nasty stuff, I would crave Kraft's version constantly. In fact, when I stopped being vegan in 2005 that's what I ate first! Amy's brand Macaroni and Cheese is the best substitute for me, because it comes in that easy box form, and you can even get it in a low-sodium version, as shown. It's not the lowest in calories, but I usually eat half a box with broccoli mixed in, and it's not too bad for you that way. Because macaroni and cheese is one of my all-time favorite foods, I love having this healthier substitution.

    The third item (lower right corner) is one of my breakfast staples- Kashi GoLean Honey and Cinnamon Oatmeal. This stuff is GOOD. I usually make two packets at once, and add fresh berries, bananas, or apples and a little bee pollen on top. Each packet is only 150 cal and 8 g protein/5 g fiber. It fills me up in a major way and is seriously delicious. Yum. I'm getting hungry just talking about it. I totally recommend this oatmeal!

    The last time is Thai Kitchen's Instant Rice Noodle Soup (Spring Onion pictured here), which is a great substitute for ramen noodles, if you like that kind of stuff! Hank and I love these little noodle packets, and I like to add fresh veggies in with the noodles and delicious broth. They cook really quickly in the microwave, and it comes with both an oil packet, and a seasoning packet. At 99 cents you can't really beat that either if you're craving a noodle soup! Definitely a must-try.

    Alright, I hope you enjoyed my little food round up and maybe you'll give something a try you haven't tried before! I also hope that are having a great day. I'm going to head to bed soon to read and try and fight the last bit of this sickness. :)

    Source URL: http://sweettattooforgirls.blogspot.com/2010/01/wednesday-wednesday.html
    Visit sweet tattoo for girls wallpaper for Daily Updated Hairstyles Collection

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

My Blog List

Blog Archive